Powered by Blogger.

So I Went a Little Crazy and Joined a Competition + 43 & 44/52

As much as I want to post here more than twice or thrice a month...I can't. Mommy break time is so deceiving you know? So when I say break time it doesn't mean chillin' or bumming around...it means it's time to do house chores and other "Bean" chores I have left on my list. The extra hour left is used to do a little bit of art, listen to music or drink my afternoon cup of coffee. Hey, I'm not complaining. Mommy break time is great; if it weren't for motherhood...I wouldn't be the person I am right now. I wouldn't have gotten to know who I am and what I want. I wouldn't have entered any contest or competition at all. So here we go.

I have been seriously surfing for almost a year; and I SERIOUSLY can't believe I am able to catch my own waves now. Everything that used to be impossible to me was made possible because of how great my husband and daughter are.


A year ago I told my husband I hated surfing because it was pointless. And then when I saw how much fun he was having I came clean and admitted to him that I did not want to try it because I was insecure, self conscious and it would look crazy because I am in my late twenties and to top it off--a mother. Adam (my husband) is really the best and most genuine person you will ever meet. He is honest, consistent, kind, patient, forgiving, understanding....well it's a long list. But the point is, he straight out told me that if I wanted to surf I had to accept that it wouldn't be easy...and that it will take time. I can't just take one or two lessons and surf like Sally Fitz or JJF. He told me I had to be consistent, persistent, driven, patient and I had to have faith. I have to believe that one day I will achieve all my goals. And I did...and still am. And I am so grateful of how much he has helped and encouraged me just to get to where I am right now.

I told him it will be near impossible for me to learn fast because I have to take care of our girl during our trips. While it is true that my learning curve would have been quick if we did not bring Bean when we surfed, it would have also paralyzed me in a way. My little girl is my source of strength. I have been battling body dysmoprhia since high school until last year. I have been through binge eating to not eating at all and developed this obsession with working out. But because my daughter was born I learned to appreciate life's beauty bit by bit. Whenever I feel worthless I always look at her and tell myself that I was the one who birthed a beautiful little soul...and that reminder keeps me positive and helps me believe that anything is possible.



So......I joined this competition.

I wasn't really interested in joining because I just want to surf. I am not setting out to enter competitions to prove anything to anyone. Surfing just makes me happy. But my friend really wanted to join so me and Adam talked about it. And we did enter just for fun. Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything at all. I am not the competitive kind of person and if I were I would have only competed with myself. So it was "expect nothing and accept everything" for me the whole time. And I would just laugh out there and ride. (If ever you see me in the lineup, don't fret, I'm not crazy....I am just the one person there smiling and laughing most of the time.) And it would surprise me every time I'd advance in the contest. I advanced up to the finals and was the 1st runner up for the Wahine Beginner's category. It was a big surprise actually because everyone was cross-stepping and whatnot!



Anyway, Adam ended up as first runner up, too. Isn't that cute? We hesitated to join...and ended up with lots of prizes. I am happy with the goodies...but I am happier meeting new people, too. I do hope these people would become close friends one day :)


Thank you to Crystal Beach Resort for being our home away from home :)


P.S.

We had a great weekend. We really did! Until this incident: I just finished surfing and switched with Adam so he can surf and I can take care of Bean. I was cuddling her as she slept when this woman asked me, "ILANG TAON NA ALAGA MO?" Ouch. Well, I know my skin is a hundred shades darker from what it really should be and that Bean is a carbon copy of her daddy...but if you want to ask, please rephrase your questions. Hahahahaha! Anyway, I am used to being asked this question. So God bless you, woman. :)

And for my 52 Project, here goes:


43/52 
"A portrait of my daughter, once a week, every week, in 2014."


Bean and her cousin Winter who she calls her "best friend." Well, I do hope they really become the best of friends because these little girls get most of my heart. They make me feel younger and loved.




44/52
 "A portrait of my daughter, once a week, every week, in 2014."


This is Bean most of the time when we have long drives to the beach. She wasn't always like this. Last year, when all the surfing just began, there were times she's throw fits in the car. She'd easily get bored and irritated. But I guess her love for the beach and travel grows more as we expose her to these things. We couldn't ask for a better travel buddy than this little one. :) She always tells us she doesn't want to leave the beach...we don't, too...but love, we gotta work so we can play. :) We love you so very much.

No comments