Powered by Blogger.

Dream Life? Not Really + Surf Last Weekend

A little over a week ago an old friend messaged me on Facebook and asked how I was. So we chatted for a bit and he seemed to want to catch up. We talked about how life is at present, etc. Then he pointed out that all I seem to do is surf. Well, there's nothing wrong with that. But what bothered me was when he said, "You're living the dream life, huh?"



I don't really know on what tone that should've come out as...but it got me irritated. Does posting positive aspects of your life and your passions make you live the "dream life"? Social media leads us to assume things about a person most of the time. I love Instagram and I document my life there a lot. I upload photos of Bean, Adam, food, surfing, yoga, art, happy events and such. I do also post about my troubles there sometimes but who would want to see that?!

I answered that person as honestly as I could...I told him that I am not living the "dream life" but I am living a happy life. Everyday, even if when I have the blues I always choose to be happy. If we were living the dream life we would have all the money in the world, not work and surf all day every day.







In reality, Adam works so hard for the three of us. We cut down on the "wants" and focus on the "needs" or necessities in life. We always put Bean first because we believe in responsible parenting and we make it a point to shower her with love.

Take for example our surf trip this last weekend....while the pictures may seem all fun and happy...I didn't snap photos of myself not feeling well because I was sick and I surfed....or when me and Adam are hurrying to wash Bean's bottles....or document how we lose patience with Bean whenever she'd cry to get what she wants. I didn't take pictures of her throwing a fit because she refused to eat...or how before a good surf would happen you'd see us lugging around a plastic of toys, a bag of snacks and drinks for our girl, a bag for our cameras, a bag for our equipment (fins, leg ropes, wax, sunblock, etc.), and two surfboards. There are no pictures of how sometimes we fight over whose turn it is to go out in the water.....but the important thing is in spite of everything...we are happy.














Lately, I easily get troubled with trivial matters...but at the end of the day...as I tuck my little girl into bed I see how blessed I am. Before I go to sleep I see my husband beside me tired from work and I see how blessed I am. And I am all set.

No comments