Powered by Blogger.

Imperfect ; I'm + Perfect

My Yoga journey started half a year before I decided to learn how to surf. I was in love with Yoga first. In fact, I made it a point to do it daily ever since I stepped into a studio and had my first class. The reason I took it up was because I lost a special person in my life, my cousin. I felt so broken and whatever I do I couldn't seem to pick myself up to do anything about it. I'd spend afternoons crying while Bean takes her nap. I cry in the bathroom; I cry when Adam is at work...and I did not want to be like that forever. Yes, I know I would permanently miss my cousin and I might be permanently hurt because of her passing...but I did not want to be too weak to handle myself. And so I went to the nearest studio and the rest is history.






But then, surfing really got to me....all of me...and I took my Yoga practice for granted. I kept on doing it day after day for the wrong reasons. I wanted to become stronger to catch those waves and so...most times I'd pay no mind to my breathing or alignment...as if I wanted to go through the asanas just to get it over with. I even failed to listen to my body which led to my first major injury.





Good thing I got injured! 2015 was supposed to be the year I would focus on my arm balances...but maybe my body is trying to tell me that I need to take a step back and remember the true essence of practicing Yoga. Realizing this...that I need to be grounded before I take flight...will keep me from causing more injuries to myself. That is why I am not sad about getting my hand and wrist all haywire.

Adam also stopped his practice because he is very busy at work. It was just either yoga or surf...and there is no question as to what he would choose. But I remain in good spirits because even though Yoga isn't on the top of his priorities he would still find some time to practice with me.





A daily practice is hard to maintain, mostly when your three-year old would be running around in circles making a mess...climbing on top of you while you do an upward dog....or crawling under you on your downward facing dog. But I laugh it off when I see her attempting to do a cat/cow pose and then pretends that she can do a headstand when she actually can't.








Today is the actually another first...it's my first time doing my full practice after three weeks of healing. My hand/wrist hasn't fully recovered yet...but for now it is enough. Adam had the idea to photograph some of the asanas I can do. I may not have the best posture; my alignment might still be off; I do not have the perfect "Yoga body" but the one I have keeps me breathing and living. I am not perfect for everyone; but I am just perfect for me.



No comments