Powered by Blogger.

getting back on track with my art

When I was a little girl our grandfather would take us out to eat lunch at a restaurant and shop at National Bookstore. It was always a treat for me (actually for all of us cousins) because he would ask us to pick one item to buy every time. I still remember my first set of watercolors (the Guitar ones in a yellow plastic casing with a free brush) I was so excited when we got home that the first thing I created were dinosaurs from a volume in our encyclopedia set. I can get lost painting; I even refuse to take baths because of it.


Then I tried out other things like colored pencils, charcoal pencils, markers...and there was also a time I was super addicted to Origami (I actually still am). Looking back, I was an artsy child...but puberty happened, I guess. I was too busy with friends and my social life that I stopped. Also, I was discouraged when my class voted for me to join this illustration contest where I went blank. My output was so disappointing even to me. This let me down; I quit.



And then in college I shifted from Biology to Fine Arts (Interior Design). This was when I was reunited with watercolor! I loved rendering classes and home works. Most of my close friends are the best at manipulating this medium that I was always a little insecure to hone my skills. I just wanted to finish my work and not put in any extra effort to do my best.



And then I became a mother. I think marriage, motherhood and surfing helped me find my way back to art. I became so inspired that I do make time for all of these things to fit into our lives. As you know, I am a full-time mom without any help. But I get to squeeze in yoga, surfing, and now...painting into my schedule. It also helps that Adam is so supportive of me. He wants me to find my passion/s; he wants me to be "me." He even put me into workshops like the calligraphy session I attended last month; and today the "Crafternoon" with Alessa Lanot from Life After Breakfast.


Honestly, I was so anxious last night because I have this tendency to belittle myself with the things I do. Also, because of the separation anxiety I have with my daughter which I am really working on. But Adam always reminds me to just have fun...because I am doing it to learn for myself and not for anyone else; besides, the fulfillment would be mine.This mentality got me to enjoy today's workshop. It also helped that my cousin Mel was there, too. The lessons were so organized; and the step by step instructions of Alessa made it so easy to understand. It was my first time using radiant concentrated watercolor ink. It was so great to use! I love illustration...but creativity is a thing I lack because I'm the kind of person who prefers things black and white, organized, and neat. I try really hard to think out of the box.

Here are a few exercises that we did:


I had a grand time letting my creative juices flow; and also finding inspiration from others' work, too! Also, I came home to a happy girl...and happiest when I bought her another stamp set. I hope everyone had a good weekend!

No comments