Powered by Blogger.

what my husband taught me about commitment

Nope, not in marriage. I am so committed to that. Commitment in fulfilling hopes and dreams, that's more like it. I have always been a failure. Honestly.

When I was a kid I told my parents I wanted to take up ballet. Yes, seeing ballerinas dance left me in awe! The control they have over their bodies, turning it into art....duh...I wanted that! So they did enroll me into a ballet school, wherein after a few sessions I wanted to quit just because the receptionist fooled me one day that my mom left me.

Then I told my parents I wanted to learn to play the piano after hearing Mozart. Again, they said yes. I almost progressed, but my lack of confidence pulled me back from recitals...and doing better. I loved the music, but not that much to make me give up my insecurities.

One summer, my cousins and I were so fanatic about the movie franchise "The Three Ninjas" so my brother and I wanted KARATE lessons. Off we went...to no avail. Not a few months after, we quit. Maybe we were so foreign to body aches and pains. I don't know. The feeling of wanting it just went away.

My parents wanted us to learn how to swim. No choice on that. They wanted us to learn to survive in the water. Which I think everyone needs to know. I was so excited because I always dreamed of being a mermaid. I was such a fan of Ariel and even "Dyesebel" that one Christmas I wrote to Santa wishing for him to turn me into a mermaid (to which I cried upon finding out "Santa" got the letter and might really turn me into one....which will make me miss my family.) I was having so much fun learning, but when graduation came....one of the most embarrassing moments of my life happened. I kept on moving at the back of the line for the freestyle exam. When there were just two of us left, we kept on pushing each other...which led to me holding on to the legs of a table and screaming my life out. In the end, I did it...with people looking at me like I was a crazy kid, and a mom who I knew was so humiliated with what I did.

So you see, I am not one for commitments. So I also hesitated to start taking up Yoga. My husband told me to just give it a try, if after a few sessions I decide I don't like it then I can quit. I didn't. But there was a lull in my progress where I told him I think it wasn't for me...but he told me: "That's why it's called progress...because you need to work hard for it." So now, I still have a practice that is becoming strong.

Now there is SURFING. It was my husband's own journey; I already had Yoga. But he would always ask me to try because it's something we can do together. Besides, he has been trying hard at Yoga, too. I think it was July of last year, I was disappointed with what happened at my attempt to learn. I quit. i just accompanied Adam when he surfed....but last October I really got a bit jealous. He looked like he was always having fun. So I took the jump...I told him I wanted to try again.

With the right conditions, and a good teacher...I guess I learned to fall in love with it too. I committed to this. Adam even had a board made for me. I haven't got it yet but it is my goal to be good enough by the time it arrives. I almost quit last weekend because I thought I wasn't progressing....but to my surprise, I think I did. :)




So next time I will paddle harder like my life depends on it.

No comments