Powered by Blogger.

Early Anniversary Trip: Baler

I want to post this before posting my next entry for my 52 Project. I just don't want to forget this trip, that's all. Adam and I have been together for five years; married for three. We are always in-love; but,  lately we have been too busy being parents, working, organizing our home...we've been busy about everything that when he comes home late at night...I am still working. After my shift, all we could do is sleep. We rarely talk.

We have an upcoming trip to Bali...and decided that that was going to be our anniversary celebration for this year. But being the sweet guy he always is, he told me we could go on a short trip, just us two. I have separation anxiety from my daughter...but...I really, really need this trip! I want to stop thinking about work, I want to be able to just do something for myself--even a few minutes of listening to music or browsing a magazine would do.

I admit that I have been a stressed-out mother to a toddler who has this new phase of "I want! I want! I want!" I am not saying that Bean is being a bad girl... she actually is the sweetest and most thoughtful kid. And we guess that being two and a half years old...she'd be a big girl and not miss us for two days.


We went to Baler. After four years. It is already so different. In 2010...Baler was provincial. There was only one great place to eat and stay. There were not much people from Manila (or elsewhere) to see. Back then, it was just Adam and his friends...plus a few local kids. When we got there we were immediately lost. It looked urbanized, and there were more modernized accommodations! What was more surprising was the amount of people who were now there. The beach was full of boys and girls taking surf lessons. It literally looked like sardines in a can! Oh my! I thought this vacation was over before it started.

Adam surfed when we got there. Good thing I saw a friend to talk to for a while. I asked her when she started to surf, how she learned...etc. And I am thankful to her for sharing her story.




Adam and I had a quick lunch...and nap because he said I should take the opportunity to put in some time in the water to help figure out this paddling problem. The conditions that afternoon looked bad to me. The waves were out of sorts...but they were still taking people in the whitewash. So, I gave the whitewash a go. Personally, I was bored. Not being overconfident or anything...but I thought I was over that level. Good thing, the instructor noticed it right away...and told me that if the conditions were better the next day, he'd bring me on the outside to surf with the big kids. I wasn't flattered;  I was terrified! Outside in Baler is different from outside in Zambales. Very different. And if I was nervous every time I went near the outside in Zambales; I was dying when he told me he will take me outside (Baler). But I thought to myself...there is no way to go but up!

After surfing in the "sardine-like" waters...we had an early dinner, chatted up a big foreign guy who was also into surfing. We slept at around 9PM like oldies...only to wake up late. Hahahaha.

I asked Adam if I can take a look at the condition of the waves (because I did not, and was not ready for that "outside") ...and they were big for me. And judging by the way it looked and sounded...I knew they were fast. I knew they'd eat me up in an instant.

With a few complaints about how I felt like choking...I still went out. I paddled out with an instructor. This is my first time surfing with the big kids.

Commercial: I first learned to surf in Zambales with instructors from the Quiksilver Surf School (Boysie, Tonton, Tylyn) and I love them. They are always kind; and they listen to me when I chicken out. They sort of help me deal with my nerves. They were the ones who taught me everything I know about surfing. This time in Baler, the instructors were from Mhadox Surf School. The instructor who was with me the first day was nice. He'd continuously encourage me that I was more suited for the outside now. Even the guy who was with Adam was nice. But this certain instructor who brought me outside for my first time just left me there alone. He just surfed. It was Adam's instructor who'd stick there with me when the huge sets rolled in. I was damn scared.

Anyway, I did not die. I had two big wipe-outs...but I did not die. I was able to ride the waves. bigger and faster waves! And I felt so happy. The upside about the worst instructor ever is this:

I now know the feeling of being alone outside. I now know how to get pounded. I now know how to paddle out...and give what energy is left before my arms turn into noodles just to get there. I feel like one of the big kids now...even if I still have a lot to learn.

I loved this weekend in Baler. I love the rush of faster waves...but maybe in my heart, Zambales is still home. Because it's where I started. Because this surfing part of me grew up there.



Of course, I am happy because I know Adam enjoyed this weekend as much as I did. I know he is still stoked from those waves.


Above all, we came home to hugs and kisses from our girl who missed us so much.

Thank you for this wonderful experience.

No comments