Powered by Blogger.

surfing with a toddler



This was supposed to be a post regarding my 52 Project but I left my camera at my parents' house so for today, I will be posting something different.

I always knew one day I'd write about this. Maybe because deep inside I want to share the stoke with my friends and family (or any stranger for that matter). Maybe because I want to give hope to those women (and men) who think that it's the end of having fun once you are parents. No, it really isn't; it's all up to you. Here are a few things I'd like to share about how we are able to surf with our toddler.

Ha! Toddlers may look cute and adorable, but they drain the life out of you even before you hit the water!

1. Have a rest the day before the trip.

I usually refrain from working out and try to sleep as early as I can before we leave the next day. Even just the drive to your destination would require you to expend your energy entertaining your toddler (and husband).





2. Accept the fact that you will not be able to surf together (but being able to would be such a treat!).

Of course, as much as you'd want to be together in the water, this is just impossible! Who would look after your kid in the shore or in the water? As if he/she could stay and snap some photos of you guys. So accepting the reality that you need to take turns surfing is inevitable. Enjoying what is possible at the moment is very important. Though, if friends or family offer to watch your kid for 3o minutes to an hour would really be great! *ehem*






3. Be patient.

Yes. Patience. It does seem impossible to keep calm and surf when you're itching to...but then you need to make sure your kid eats, stays hydrated, is happy and entertained...plus that never ending routine of SUNBLOCK application. This comes easy for me. I think I was born to raise kids. I like making sure everything is fine when it comes to my daughter.






4. Let your kid have her share of fun.

I know, it's supposed to be "your" trip...and you just "had" to bring your kid. No. This is the wrong mentality to have. It should be: "This is our trip and I am glad we are all together to share this experience." This has to come from your heart though, not just your mind. After all, looking back, you'd be so thrilled that you once had the opportunity to have spent this time with your child as they grow up really fast.







5. Think of the situation as helping your child grow and giving her opportunities.

Yes, I am proud to say that our daughter loves the water, the surf, and the people. At first she'd go ballistic just hearing the sound of the waves. One day, I just had enough of her whining whenever we watched her daddy surf so I made it look like fun to her. I carried her in the white wash and just laughed there with her. I tried to show her what a good time I was having. After I'd seen a few smiles, I put her down and held her hand; we just jumped over the water over and over. This moment was full of joy that I usually replay this in my head when I am having a hard time at the beach. Now Bean is brave enough to learn to swim, and usually she'd ask to go farther out to the deep blue sea!







6. Finally, there is love.

If you do not treat your child as a burden or obstacle in doing the things you love--he or she will never be. Keep in mind that you have created this life together out of love (and not just lust hopefully). There is no harm in feeling tired or pissed, that's just us being human...the important thing is that we continue to love our children and keep them involved in our lives. When I come to think of it, when I was a kid I found it a drag when our parents would bring us to their company outings and out of town trips. But now that I am older, I am so happy that I got to share those moments with them, after all...we only have a limited time on this earth...what better way to share it with the people you love?






I may have missed a few tips here and there, but mostly those are the important things to keep in mind. So, mommies and daddies....go and chase your dreams! Go surf!

No comments