Powered by Blogger.

Surfing: The Waiting Game

Now I realize surfing is all about waiting. Since the first time I gave it a try I have been waiting...waiting to get stronger, waiting to perfect my balance, to be strong enough to paddle out, waiting for waves...waiting to catch my own waves and ride smoothly. AND: waiting for our boards to be finished.

I have checked online on how long to finish the job and the most would be 10 weeks. We got our boards made last December, and were still waiting. Not that I'm complaining (well, maybe a little, sorry for the excitement), I have already gotten stronger and I can mostly catch my own waves...still I remain without a board. It's okay, though we are finding it expensive to rent every time. But there is nothing else to do but wait.

So for now I will quench my excitement with images from Pinterest:








Aren't they pretty? If you haven't tried to surf, I suggest you give it a shot. I used to hate it a lot and find my husband so unreasonable whenever he surfs. Now I always bug him about it. I can't even begin to describe how much it changed my life. Some changes that I can point out are:

1. I now know how to work hard for my goals: At first, of course, I sucked. I was awkward, and popping up on the board required effort. Most times I tell Adam I want to quit, but my desire to become better weighed more. So whenever we are in the city I workout regularly. I do practice popping up in our bedroom floor. During surf trips I try to get out in the water as much as I can. This doesn't only apply to surfing; it also is applicable in other aspects of my life.

2. I am less judgmental: I admit, I used to be the one laughing at beginners when I wasn't surfing. I'd tell my husband how funny people looked wiping out. Until I was the one in their position. I learned to appreciate the effort they give just to be able to get up on their boards. Also, I admit to making fun of other people sometimes. Now I do this less because I have come to accept that all people are made different, and everyone is beautiful in each and every way. F*ck the supposed "ideal beauty."

3. Whenever I miss a wave or wipe out...I realize that it's okay...there will always be a next time: Like in life, when we fail...we try again. When we're down there is no other place to go but up.

4. I do not let my insecurities get in the way of how surfing makes me feel: I have written time and again about this. To make this section short, I will just tell you to go chase your dreams before it's too late. So what if those abs just won't show? So what if you have no thigh gap? These things shouldn't stop you. I have this 7" vertical C-section keloid scar on my tummy; I also have big thighs...but I have felt so free because of surfing that I do not care what people think anymore. All I care about is how happy I feel.

5. I have a better relationship with my husband: We found something we are both passionate about, something we can do together and talk about. This is good...because instead of thinking of  the troubles in life...we have surfing to look forward to instead.

6. Surfing has become a form of relaxation from being a full-time mother: Yes. This is how I want to spend my alone time. Maybe even forever. It's just me and the sea...nothing else matters.

So what are you waiting for? Go and surf!

All images are from Pinterest.

No comments